Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Pickles!

I had a very busy and mind draining day, and I don't think I have enough energy to give my opinion on a lot of things happening around me. There is one thing that has been bothering me for past few days, and that is to satisfy my craving for pickles.

I am half-Ilocano from my mother side and have developed a taste for vegetables over the years, but pickles will always have a special place in heart. My parents know how to make pickles and I have resolved that I have make my own batch before the end of May. Here are some of the pickles I plan to make:

Gari:


I love Japanese food especially sushi and sashimi and my friends can attest to that. The tricky part of this pickle is finding young ginger to get that beautiful pink color.

Pickled Mustard Green:


Now this is an old favorite of mine, thanks to my parents and grandparents. I remember them buying big batches of these stuff and stinking up the fridge.

Pickled Mangoes


This classic is another favorite of mine. I remember a family friend who makes them every year and personally gives me my own bottle aside from the one she gives the family.

Pickled Ampalaya:


This one is tricky because I have tasted both ends of the spectrum. On one side the bitter taste has totally disappeared which is kinda disappointing, but on the other end the bitterness has been exponentially intensified that I have great difficulty eating it.



No comments:

Post a Comment